Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Barstool Cowboy


The DIY spirit is alive and well in todays generation of would-be filmmakers inspired by the success of such notables as David Lynch and Allison Anders and enabled by new technologies and social factors. As a result of the democratization of film production and distribution we now have access to a plethora of movies that ten years ago wouldn't have even existed. Furthermore, the global village is at its most interconnected point yet (and will only continue to grow), facilitating dialogue between people who would never have met. These are the circumstances that brought me to Mark Thimijin's Barstool Cowboy.

Cowboy centers on Mick (you know, like Mick Jagger) who after having his heart broken, vows to stay on a barstool for three months in hopes of forgetting the woman who left him. He quickly breaks his promise to himself when a young art student, Arcy, chooses the bar as the subject for a drawing, prompting Mick to confront her. The two strike up an acquaintanceship, and quickly become entangled in each other's lives.

EDIT: Its 2012, and I have always regretted putting up a harsh review of this movie. The guy reached out to me get his film seen and have some press and picked me cause I had been writing reviews diligently for maybe a month over the summer before my senior year of college. Once school started though I found I didnt have as much time for reviews and just stopped. I don;t eve know if I could do it this competently anymore...at any rate Mark made a whole fuckin feature film, released it and had the courage to reach out to me in an effort to expand the films audience, and those things are admirable to me, so i say A-OK

Other semi-related thoughts:
-check out Barstool Cowboy on netflix

-sorry its been so long since i last posted, I think living in california makes me dumber.

-"kissing a man without a beard is like eating porridge with no salt" <--truth div="div">

No comments:

Post a Comment